Nellie May Naylor
A longtime faculty member remembered by many, Nellie May Naylor (1885-1992) was the second woman to hold such a rank in the Chemistry Department at lowa State University (then lowa State College). Born in Clear Lake, lowa, Naylor received a B.A. (1908) from the State University of lowa (University of lowa in lowa City), an M.S. (1918) from lowa State College, and a Ph.D. (1923) from Columbia University. She started teaching at lowa State as a Chemistry Assistant in 1909, after one year as a Clear Lake Public School teacher. Except for when she was studying elsewhere, Naylor remained at lowa State until 1955, when she retired as Associate Professor of Chemistry. She was a member of many professional societies, most notably the lota Sigma Pi, of which she was an active participant, enduringly involved.