{
    "title": {
        "media": {
          "url": "/projects/campuscornerstones/objects/old-main_004-crop.jpg",
          "caption": null,
          "credit": "Campus Cornerstones"
        },
        "text": {
          "headline": "Chronology of Iowa State University Buildings",
          "text": "A timeline of buildings on the Iowa State University campus, from the founding of the university in 1858 to the present day. Click on the image to learn more about the featured building."
        }
    },
    "events": [
      {
        "media": {
          "url": "/projects/campuscornerstones/objects/small/04-08-I_MarstonCottage_0263-09-01_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Marston Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0001.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1868"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1958"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Marston Cottage",
          "text": "Built 1868-1870, Marston Cottage was the third of the three “Professors’ Houses”. Its first occupant was Professor William A. Anthony, who resigned in 1872; the second was Alexander Thomson, who resigned in 1884, and the house was shared at times with Albert E. Foote and E.R. Hutchins. General James Rush lived there from 1885 to 1891, after which Anson Marston occupied the house from 1892 until he died in 1949, occasionally sharing it with Samuel W. Beyer. Mrs. Marston lived there until the house was razed in 1958 to make room for the addition to Helser Hall. The brick house included a basement, two full floors, and a large attic. Over time, several modifications were made, including the addition of back stairs in 1874, major repairs in 1904, a screened porch in 1913, and a basement garage in 1923."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/vetmed/small/rs014-001-009b016f001i010_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "South Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0002.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1868"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1912"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "South Hall",
          "text": "Built 1868-1869, South Hall was the first of the three “Professors’ Houses”, and stood on what is now Union Drive. The two-story structure featured a mansard roof, a west-facing front porch, second-story windows that extended into the roof, and a tower-like element at the southwest corner. It was occupied by President Welch from 1869 to 1879, during which time an addition was completed in 1871. After the Welch family moved to The Gables, the building was repurposed for the Botany and Veterinary Medicine departments. In 1880, it was modified for use by Domestic Economy and sustained damage during a tornado in 1882. By 1896, South Hall had become Music Hall, serving that role until it was destroyed by fire in 1912. It was connected to the campus sewer system in 1897."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones148_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Music Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0003.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1868"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1978"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Music Hall",
          "text": "Built 1868-1870, Music Hall was the second of the three “Professors’ Houses”, and was first occupied by mathematics Professor George W. Jones. Edgar W. Stanton lived with Jones's family, and from 1879 to Stanton's death in 1920, the home was known as the Stanton House. The house was remodeled in 1899 with a 20-foot east addition, repaired in 1904, and updated in 1914 with central heating and a basement garage. After her husband's death, Mrs. Stanton continued to live in the house, and when she started a tea room in 1922, the home became known as \"The Maples.\" Mrs. Stanton moved out in 1924, and the Home Economics Department continued operating the tea room. In 1926, the east (front) porch was enclosed, and the kitchen was enlarged. In 1928, the tearoom closed with the opening of the Memorial Union, and the Music Department moved in. The name \"Music Hall\" became official in 1929. The house was torn down in 1978 to make way for the new music building, which was constructed on the site."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones198_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Mortensen Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0004.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1877"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1927"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Mortensen Cottage",
          "text": "Built in 1877 where Botany Hall now stands, Professor J.L. Budd built Mortensen Cottage for his family and sold the house to the College for $2,000 in 1884. During this time, a two-story addition was added to this house after a cyclone blew down the chimneys in 1882. Mortensen Cottage was moved in 1892 to make room for the Botany Hall. The house was occupied by several tenants, including J.L. Budd (1877–1890), D.A. Kent (1891–1894), J.B. Weems (1895–1903), G.L. McKay (1904–1907), and Martin Mortensen (1908–1926). It was demolished in 1927 to make way for the new Dairy Industries Building.\r\n"
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones184_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Chemical and Physical Laboratory",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0005.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1870"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1913"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Chemical and Physical Laboratory",
          "text": "Proposed in 1868 due to a lack of proper laboratory space, the Chemical Laboratory was completed in 1871 as a small brick building for approximately $5,000. Between 1874 and 1875, a larger Physical Laboratory was added to the east end. The expanded building housed the Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical, and later Electrical Engineering departments, featuring lecture rooms, laboratories, and an observatory. Additions and upgrades continued, including a second flood in 1891, steam heat in 1892, and a third-floor expansion in 1910 as the building became overcrowded. The laboratory was destroyed by fire on March 25, 1913.\r\n"
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_oldmain_275-4-1_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Main Building",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0006.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1864"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1902"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Main Building",
          "text": "Built between 1864 and 1868, the Main Building was Iowa State’s first major campus structure. Designed by C.A. Dunham after earlier plans were revised, the large brick building housed classrooms, laboratories, a library, a museum, dining facilities, and student and faculty living quarters. An addition completed between 1871 and 1873 expanded its capacity, though the building quickly became overcrowded. Throughout its use, Old Main underwent numerous repairs and upgrades, including heating system replacements, structural reinforcements, and the addition of electric lighting in 1884. Despite these efforts, persistent structural issues and aging infrastructure remained. A fire in December 1900 destroyed the north wing, and a second fire in August 1902 destroyed the south wing, leading to the building’s complete loss. The structure served the college for just over thirty years before being replaced by Beardshear Hall.\r\n"
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones025_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Cattle Barn (First)",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0007.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1860"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1928"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Cattle Barn (First)",
          "text": "Construction of the Cattle Barn started in 1860, and several improvements and additions were made over time. The original building was a 42 x 60 foot frame structure with stone walls on three sides and stables underground. In 1865 a root cellar was added and the area surrounding the barn was fenced, and a corn crib and hen house were added in 1871. An additional larger barn with connecting passageway was built in 1873. Due to ongoing maintenence concerns and changes in agricultural instruction, the barn was approved for demolition in 1928."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones003_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "The Farm House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0008.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1860"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1860 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "The Farm House",
          "text": "Construction of the Farm House (Knapp-Wilson House) began in 1860 and was completed in 1865 as the first building on Iowa State’s campus. Built by day labor, it served as an early residence for farm and college operations. The structure was expanded and modified over time, including additions, repairs, and conversion into a two-family residence in the late 1880s. After decades of use and continued updates, it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965. Restored between 1972 and 1975, the building now serves as a museum preserving Iowa State’s early history. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones172_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Boarding Cottage West",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0009.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1880"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1934"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Boarding Cottage West",
          "text": "As enrollment increased and the Main Building could no longer accommodate all students, proposals were made for a dormitory to house 120 students. Ten years later, funds were made available, and Boarding Cottage West was erected in 1880, consisting of 16 rooms. An addition was completed in 1882, the porch was added in August 1886, and in 1894, both floors of the cottage were remodeled. A year later, three rooms in the basement were made available for an electrical laboratory. The cottage was remodeled again in 1907 to serve as the College Hospital, until the new Hospital was built in 1918, when Boarding Cottage West became the detention ward. Further remodeling took place in 1920, and the building was razed in 1934. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones022_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Feeding Barn",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0010.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1880"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1901"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Feeding Barn",
          "text": "The Feeding Barn was built in 1880. Designed by Prof T.L. Smith, the Feeding Barn was constructed under contract with F.S. Whiting at a total cost of $792.10. The barn was authorized for repairs in 1890, funded by Experiment Station resources. In October 1901, a fire originating in the barn destroyed the structure along with the Experiment Station Barn. \r\n"
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "",
          "caption": "Horticulture Barn (First)",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0011.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1881"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1899"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Horticulture Barn (First)",
          "text": "In 1881, Professor Budd requested to purchase horses and build a shelter for them, though only the horses were initially approved. Budd built the barn himself and was reimbursed by the Board in 1882. The barn was practically destroyed by a cyclone on April 8, 1882, and was moved to the gardener’s house in 1897 with the recommendation that the barn be repaired. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "",
          "caption": "Eastwood Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0012.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1878"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1890"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Eastwood Cottage",
          "text": "Built in 1878 as a one-acre farm workman’s cottage, Eastwood Cottage was originally leased to L.L. Eastwood. He later offered to sell the cottage, and it was purchased by the college in 1882. The house was being used by the Experiment Station in 1888, and was razed sometime between 1888 and 1896, as it no longer appears on later campus maps. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones153_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Pope Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0013.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1877"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": ""
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Pope Cottage",
          "text": "This house was built in 1877 by Chemistry Professor Thomas E. Pope, on the south side of what is now Lincoln Way. Pope sold the property to the College in 1884. Professor Wynn had been renting Pope Cottage before the sale, and remained there through 1885. The frame house consisted of two stories and a basement. Plumbing and electricity were installed in 1902, and the porch was added in 1924."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones144_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "North Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0014.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1880"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1926"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "North Hall",
          "text": "Built in 1880, North Hall was constructed to house the Agriculture, Veterinary Science, and Botanical departments. Completed for occupancy in 1881, the building was heavily damaged by a tornado in 1882 but was quickly repaired. A porch was added in 1886, and two years later, a water supply and coal stoves were installed. After Margaret Hall was built in 1894, North Hall became an attached wing of the new building, with spaces converted for kitchen use, domestic economy functions, and servants’ rooms. North Hall was razed in 1926. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones181_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "The Gables",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0015.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1879"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1963"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "The Gables",
          "text": "Built in 1879-1880 as a home for President Welch and his family, The Gables was later purchased by Professor Millikan Stalker and eventually passed to Iowa State College in 1928. Renamed International House, it served as a residence for international male students. The building sustained significant fire damage in 1951 but was repaired and continued in use until it was intentionally demolished in 1963 to make way for Buchanan Hall.   "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones228_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "The Hub",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0016.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1892"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1892 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "The Hub",
          "text": "Built in 1892, The Hub originally served as a depot, bookstore, and post office to support the Ames and College Railway. After the railway was discontinued in 1908, the building was relocated and continued to function as a bookstore and post office, with multiple additions made in 1920, 1946, and 1952. The bookstore moved to the Memorial Union in 1958, and the building remained a post office until 1963. Renamed “The Hub” in 1959, it was repurposed for food services and later housed additional campus functions, including a copy center, ticket office, and traffic office."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_catthall_234-1-6_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Botany Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0017.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1892"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1892 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Botany Hall",
          "text": "Built in 1892, Botany Hall comprised four stories and a basement used for horticulture. The first floor housed a livestock room and the agricultural chemistry and horticulture departments, while the second floor was used for offices and recitation rooms. The third floor housed veterinary offices, laboratories, and a museum, while the top floor was used by literary and scientific societies. By 1897, Botany Hall showed signs of structural issues, including floor settlement and plaster cracking. A Farm Mechanics and Soil Physics addition was built in 1903. The building was mainly used for storage after the Agricultural Engineering department moved in in 1922. The building was renamed Botany Hall, and the Botany department used it from 1928 to 1967, followed by the Seed Laboratory until 1977, and the Psychology department in 1968. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones161_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Creamery (Second)",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0018.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1891"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1905"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Creamery (Second)",
          "text": "The second Creamery was built between 1891 and 1893 to replace the original creamery. Initial funding was insufficient, requiring additional appropriations in 1892 to complete workspaces, laboratories, and dormitory rooms above the facility. Minor changes and repairs were made, and an addition was constructed in 1898. By 1903, the building was considered outdated and too costly to maintain. It was authorized for demolition in 1904, remained in use briefly, and was razed in 1905."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "/projects/campuscornerstones/objects/small/teamsters-crop_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Teamster's Cottage #2",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0019.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1890"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1970"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Teamster's Cottage #2",
          "text": "Teamster's Cottage #2 was built in 1890, where Bessey Hall now stands. It was initially constructed as housing for Experiment Station employees, and was occupied by Capt. Speer and his family. In 1900, interior modifications were recommended, and in 1915, the house was relocated to a site across from the power plant, where it became one of a group of five cottages. Teamster's Cottage #2 was razed in 1970."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/04-08-j_campusscenes_0332-06-009_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Morrill Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0020.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1890"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1890 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Morrill Hall",
          "text": "Morrill Hall was built from 1890 to 1890 to fill the need for a library, museum, and chapel. The building was named in honor of the Senator who had sponsored the Morrill bill, which established the land-grant college system. The hall was used by the zoology, entomology, and geology departments, and included a gymnasium, chapel, library, and a barber shop from 1905 to 1908. Alterations were made in 1914 when the library was removed and replaced by Agricultural Extension offices. Following safety concerns and renovations in 1922, more alterations were made to Morrill Hall in 1938 and 1955."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones175_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Bevier House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0021.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1888"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": ""
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Bevier House",
          "text": "Bevier House was constructed in 1888 and included two stories and an attached propagating house. The house was assigned to the music department from December 1892 to May 1894, when the Botany department moved in, and the building was remodeled. In 1896, Bevier House moved, became a home for Margaret Hall's employees, and was known as the Klatter Klub. The house moved again in 1910 and was occupied by Thomas Sloss until 1924. Bevier House was moved again between December 1924 and March 1925, becoming the Isabel Bevier Home Management House, only to be moved again. In its final location, Bevier House served multiple purposes, including a home management house (1953 and 1955–1956), housing for graduate women (1953–1955 and 1956–1961), and office space for retired faculty members."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones165_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Coburn House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0022.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1888"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1975"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Coburn House",
          "text": "Coburn House was constructed in 1888 on a one-acre leased site. and occupied by the Knapp family. In 1896, a water line to the house was authorized, and an addition was built in 1900. The house was sold to the college in 1920 and remodeled for use as a Home Economics Division practice cottage. The building was moved in 1925 and named the Mary B. Welch Home Management House, before being renamed the Gertrude Coburn Home Management House in 1928. The house was moved again in 1947 and continued to serve the Home Management function until the 1950s, when it was used for genetics research and the Psychology department. Coburn House was condemned in the early 1970s and razed in 1975."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones171_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Greenhouse Attached to Bevier House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0023.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1888"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1897"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Greenhouse Attached to Bevier House",
          "text": "The Greenhouse was built as an attached unit when Bevier House was constructed in 1888. When Bevier House was moved in 1896, the propagating house remained in place. In the spring of 1897, plans to move the structure were considered, but they were ultimately abandoned, and the greenhouse was demolished later that year. Materials from the structure were reused or sold, and the site was graded."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones217_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Veterinary Hospital",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0024.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1884"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1926"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Veterinary Hospital",
          "text": "The Veterinary Hospital was constructed between 1884 and 1885 as a two-story building with additional space designed for animal care. Located approximately where the Pine Room is currently situated in the Memorial Union, the building initially served as a veterinary hospital, including clinics, animal stalls, and surgical spaces. As enrollment increased, the building became inadequate and underwent several updates, including connection to the central water supply in 1898. The Veterinary Department relocated in 1912, and the building was repurposed for storage. Between 1912 and 1921, a one-story shed was constructed for additional storage, and the Veterinary Hospital became known as the Carpenter Shop. The building was razed in 1926 to make room for the new Memorial Union Building. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones156_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Sanitary Building",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0025.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1884"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1927"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Sanitary Building",
          "text": "Built between 1884 and 1885, the Sanitary Building served as a campus hospital, with additional use by the Veterinary Department until 1893. After the Veterinary Department relocated, the building was used exclusively as a hospital and underwent major remodeling in 1900. Following a 1902 fire, repairs were completed, and the Sanitary Building continued to operate as a hospital until 1907, when it was repurposed as a rooming house. The building, known as Music Hall, served the Music Department from 1912 until it was razed in 1927."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones211_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "English Office Building",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0026.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1884"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": ""
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "English Office Building",
          "text": "Built in 1884, the English Office Building was originally designed to house the offices of the President, Secretary, and Treasurer. An addition was constructed in 1892, and the office spaces were rented to staff personnel in the following years. Although various repairs were completed, including the installation of a new furnace in 1904, the Public Grounds Committee recommended removing the English Office Building in 1905, a recommendation that was never carried out. In 1908, the building housed the college book store, the custodian, and the Head of the Military Department. The Office Building was connected to the central heating system in 1914, while it operated as the headquarters for the Buildings and Grounds department, and was rented to YMCA food service employees. The Music Department used the space until 1928, and in 1929, the second floor served as office space for the English Department. In 1973, the English and Speech offices were relocated, and the Office Building became the headquarters for International Education Services. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "",
          "caption": "Veterinary Barn",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0027.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1883"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1893"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Veterinary Barn",
          "text": "The original Veterinary Barn was constructed in 1883 by F. Turner. After a new Veterinary Hospital was built in 1885, the original barn was repurposed for use by the boarding department. The Veterinary Barn was transferred to the Agricultural Department in 1892 and relocated. By 1893, the building had been moved again and repaired, though the barn's final location is unknown. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "",
          "caption": "Gymnasium",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0028.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1883"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1886"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Gymnasium",
          "text": "Construction of the Gymnasium began in 1883, and in May of that year, a student committee requested funds from the Board of Regents to complete construction and purchase equipment. The building was completed in August of 1883; however, the Gymnasium Association never raised enough funds to pay off the building's debt. In March 1886, the Gymnasium was moved to Professor Mount’s property in payment for his financing the construction. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones051_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Sloss House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0029.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1882 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Sloss House",
          "text": "Sloss House was constructed between 1882 and 1883, with a porch addition in 1884. Professor Charles E. Bessey was the first occupant of the house and oversaw early renovations, such as sheeting the house with tarred paper and building a woodshed, wellhouse, and a privy. Minor repairs were made in 1897, 1904, and 1915, and extensive renovations, including porch modifications and the addition of a garage, were completed in 1925. Over time, Sloss House served a variety of functions, ranging from faculty residences to student housing and academic use. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones205_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Laboratory of Mechanics",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0030.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1882 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Laboratory of Mechanics",
          "text": "Construction of the Laboratory of Mechanics began in 1882 and continued until 1883, when it was found to be too small to accommodate the growing engineering departments. An expansion was finished in 1885, and the basement was remodeled between 1898 and 1899 to create a hydraulics laboratory. Major renovations followed in 1907, with toilet facilities added in 1923 and a one-story addition in 1933. Further remodeling in 1967 included the addition of office space and a classroom, improved laboratories, and fire escapes on the upper floors."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones195_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Grounds Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0031.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1970"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Grounds Cottage",
          "text": "The Grounds Cottage was built in 1882, with a porch added in 1886 and a water line extended to the house in 1892. It was first occupied by gardener and custodian Jerry Sexton, followed by other grounds department employees in the years that followed. The cottage was moved in 1905 to make way for a new horticulture building and relocated again in 1924. It remained in this location until it was razed in 1970."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "/projects/campuscornerstones/objects/small/farm-laborers-cottage_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Farm Laborer's Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0032.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1904"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Farm Laborer's Cottage",
          "text": "The Farm Laborer’s Cottage was built in 1882 to serve the farm and horticulture departments. Repairs were made in the 1890s, including new siding, interior work, and painting. The house was occupied by William Pierce, Fred Leighton, and Professor G.L. McKay at various times. The Farm Laborer’s Cottage was sold and removed from campus in 1904. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones173_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Boarding Cottage East",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0033.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1907"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Boarding Cottage East",
          "text": "The East Boarding Cottage was built in 1882 to accommodate additional students, reflecting the success of the Boarding Cottage West. The boarding house filled quickly, providing low-cost housing for students. A porch was added in 1886, and renovations completed in the 1890s expanded and updated the interior. In 1897, the East Boarding Cottage was converted into teacher housing, and in 1901, it became the football team's living quarters. Steam heat was included in 1905. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones001_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Farm Boarding Club",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0034.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1879"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1970"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Farm Boarding Club",
          "text": "Built in 1879, the Farm Boarding Club building was constructed for the Horticulture Department. The two-story building included lecture rooms and office spaces, a Horticulture museum, and several storage rooms. The Horticulture Department relocated in 1894, and the Farm Boarding Club was remodeled into a residence. It became a boarding club by 1895, with water and sewer auditions in 1896. It continued as a faculty club until 1906, when it was reserved for potential hospital use. The building was moved in 1915 and later used as an employee boarding house and residence. The Farm Boarding Club building remained in use until it was razed in 1970. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "",
          "caption": "Fair Oaks Mansion",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0035.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1879"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1899"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Fair Oaks Mansion",
          "text": "Fair Oaks Mansion was built by students in 1879 as a small residence on the college farm. It was relocated in 1884 or 1885 and became known as the Bus House, where it was used for student housing in the early 1890s. The building was moved again in 1893 and used as a gardener’s residence. By the late 1890s, the Fair Oaks Mansion had fallen into poor condition and was eventually removed by 1899."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones231_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Power Station",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0036.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1891"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1912"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Power Station",
          "text": "The Power Station was built in 1891 as a boiler house, with an addition in 1897 that expanded it to include a pumping station as part of the campus water system. Additional boilers and expansions were added in 1899 and 1902. The building housed the electrical generating plant and pumping station and served as a laboratory for the Mechanical Engineering Department. The Power Station was removed in 1912 to make room for the new Mechanical Engineering Building."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones163_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Creamery (First)",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0037.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1879"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1927"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Creamery (First)",
          "text": "The first Creamery was built in 1879, with an addition in 1882 that included a creamery, ice house, and cold storage building. The building was moved and remodeled in 1891 to serve as the farm foreman’s residence and a boarding house for farm workmen. The first Creamery was razed in 1927 to make way for the Dairy Industries Building."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones027_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Horse Barn (First)",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0038.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1870"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Horse Barn (First)",
          "text": "The first Horse Barn was constructed in 1870 to fulfill the need for a stable. The brick structure included stalls, a loft, a harness room, and a granary. Funds for expansion were requested in 1897. The original Horse Barn was removed in 1900 to make way for a new barn. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "/projects/campuscornerstones/objects/small/workshop-crop_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Workshop",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0039.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1870"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1898"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Workshop",
          "text": "The Workshop was built in 1870 at the request of President Welch for a space large enough to accommodate students who take Mechanic Arts courses. The two-story structure included an engine house and two laundry rooms until it was moved in 1885, at which point the laundry rooms were torn down and rebuilt. By 1894, the building was called The Carpenter and Pattern Shop and had experienced several small additions. Concerns for the condition of the Workshop were raised in 1893, but the building was not removed until 1898, after the completion of Building 'A' and the Carpenter Shop. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_barns_224-3-1_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Experimental Barn",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0040.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1894"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1901"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Experimental Barn",
          "text": "Built in 1894, the Experimental Barn supported the college’s growing farm and animal husbandry work. The barn had a short life, as a fire on October 25, 1901, burned down the Cattle and Experimental Barns."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones235_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Margaret Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0041.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1894"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1938"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Margaret Hall",
          "text": "Margaret Hall was built between 1894 and 1895 as an undergraduate women’s residence hall, marking a major expansion of campus housing. The building included modern amenities and dining facilities and was fully occupied upon opening. From 1902 until 1906, Margaret Hall also housed the Botany Department after a fire in the Main Building. Several renovations were completed, including fire escapes in 1897 and 1903, lockers and shower baths in 1913, and a swimming pool in 1915. By 1929, the dining services in Margaret Hall were discontinued, and housing was reserved for graduate women. The building was destroyed by a fire on April 9, 1938. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones187_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Greenhouse",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0042.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1896"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1968"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Greenhouse",
          "text": "The Greenhouse was built in 1896, with an expansion added in 1903 to increase space for horticulture programs. Additional structures for potting and storage were added as the facility grew. The Greenhouse was removed between 1967 and 1968. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/04-08-j_campusscenes_0332-04-003_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Building \"A\"",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0043.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1897"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1973"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Building \"A\"",
          "text": "Building ‘A’ was constructed in 1897 as a forge shop and foundry for the Mechanical Engineering Department. The building remained in use as a foundry until 1936, after which it served as the Technical Institution's headquarters. Building ‘A’ was removed in 1973."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_campanile_230-1-2_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Campanile",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0044.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1897"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1897 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Campanile",
          "text": "Construction of the Campanile began in 1897 and was originally intended to house a gift of ten bells from Professor E.W. Stanton in memory of Margaret McDonald Stanton. The tower was completed in 1898, the clock was added in 1899, and the chimes played for the first time in 1900. In 1929, twenty-six more bells were added, and the structure was named the Edgar W. and Margaret MacDonald Stanton Memorial Carillon of Bells. Thirteen treble bells were installed in 1956, and another in 1967, bringing the total to 50 bells. The Campanile stands 110 feet high. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones202_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Osborn Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0045.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1882"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2001"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Osborn Cottage",
          "text": "Osborn Cottage was built from 1882 to 1883 as one of two faculty residences. The house underwent multiple upgrades, including the installation of a furnace and storm windows in 1898, and the addition and repair of a porch in 1914 and 1920. A nearby shed was remodeled into a garage and sleeping porch in 1924. Osborn Cottage housed various professors and campus groups over time and was later used for programs such as the Student Alumni Association, the Landscape Architecture program, and the Honors Program."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones232_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Aerospace Laboratory",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0046.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1898"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1973"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Aerospace Laboratory",
          "text": "Built in 1898 and originally known as the Carpenter Shop, the Aerospace Laboratory provided students with tool-based instruction. It was later known as the Pattern Shop until 1932, and in 1934, its function shifted to the Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory. The building was removed in 1973."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones226_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Engineer's Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0047.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1898"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1970"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Engineer's Cottage",
          "text": "Engineer’s Cottage, often referred to as Edgerton House, was built in 1898 as a residence for J.J. Edgerton. It was updated with plumbing and steam heat in 1904 and 1913, moved in 1915, and housed several faculty members until it was razed in 1970."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones191_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Kildee Cottage",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0048.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1973"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Kildee Cottage",
          "text": "Kildee Cottage was built in 1900 and first occupied in 1901 by Dr. O.H. Cessna under a campus lease agreement. The house was purchased by the college in the spring of 1915, and it later became the longtime residence of Herbert H. Kildee. After 1965, Kildee Cottage served as the headquarters for the building services section of the Physical Plant before being removed in 1973."
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_knoll_195-7-2_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "The Knoll",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0049.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1900 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "The Knoll",
          "text": "The Knoll was built from 1900 to 1901 as the official residence for the college president, but it served multiple roles over time, including temporary use by the Music Department. The house underwent numerous renovations and expansions, including the addition of the garage and porch. Although its future use was debated, the Knoll was remodeled in 1966 and continued as the president’s residence. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones224_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Landscape Architecture",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0050.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1900 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Landscape Architecture",
          "text": "The Landscape Architecture building was constructed in 1900 as a Horse Barn and Livestock Judging Pavilion to support the expanding agricultural programs. It served its original function for nearly 30 years before being remodeled into the headquarters for Landscape Architecture in 1930. The building remained in use by the Landscape Architecture Department until 1978, and the space was later used for agronomy and journalism overflow. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/04-08-j_campusscenes_0332-07-001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Marston Hall",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0051.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "2040"
        },
        "display_date": "1900 - Present",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Marston Hall",
          "text": "Marston Hall was built between 1900 and 1903 as the college’s new Engineering Hall. It was designed by Proudfoot & Bird after being selected through a formal design competition. The building was occupied in 1903 and later repaired after damage from a 1909 blizzard. The name Marston Hall was officially adopted in 1947, with additional renovations completed in 1955, 1972, and 1973. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones152_c001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Norton House",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0052.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": ""
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Norton House",
          "text": "Norton House was built around 1900 by Professor Lizzie May Allis as a private residence. The house changed ownership several times before being purchased by the college in 1921 and used as a practice cottage, when it was known as Gray Cottage. It was renamed the Alice P. Norton Home Management House in 1929, moved twice, and was eventually used as the headquarters for the Film Production Unit. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/cornerstones059_001_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Theater-Workshop",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0053.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1900"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1979"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Theater-Workshop",
          "text": "The Theater-Workshop (also known as the Judging Pavilion, Stock Pavilion, and later Shattuck Theater) was built in 1900 as a stock judging pavilion. In 1931, the building was converted into a theater workshop for the Iowa State Players and remodeled in 1936. The name Shattuck Theater was adopted in 1960, and the structure remained in use until it was razed in 1979. "
        }
      },{
        "media": {
          "url": "https://isuu00001library102stg.blob.core.windows.net/digital-objects/universityphotographs/small/4-8-i_barns_224-4-1_sm.jpg",
          "caption": "Hog Houses",
          "link": "/projects/campuscornerstones/items/buildingprofile0054.html"
        },
        "start_date": { 
          
          "year": "1865"
        },
        "end_date": { 
          
          "year": "1922"
        },
        "display_date": "",
        "text": {
          "headline": "Hog Houses",
          "text": "Hog Houses on campus date back to the 1860s, with the first hog pen built in 1865, and a piggery completed in 1867. Additional structures were added over time, including a swine house in 1880, though early facilities were poorly documented. After the Piggery was destroyed by fire in 1885, a new hog house was built in 1891 and remained in use until it burned in 1922. "
        }
      }
    ]
}
